Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bookshopping in Bangalore #1

After hearing lots(....and lots and lots) about the attractive prospects of bookshopping in B'lore from various sources my expectations were high when I ended up in Bangalore for two months and found myself free to explore the city on sundays. I am glad to say that what I found was greater than my wildest dreams.

Here are some bookshops I visited-

#1 Tata Book House, IISc campus - This was the first bookshop I visited since it is right on campus and just a few steps off from the department. The sight of books stacked from floor to ceiling does one's heart good. This place has almost every imaginable title as far as academics is concerned. There is a fiction section also which is quite good though limited. The great thing is you get a discount of 20% on all your purchases.

#2 Blossoms, Church street- If there is heaven on earth, it is this, it is this, it is this.
This shop stocks all kinds of books- academic, fiction,old and new. The fiction section is on the first floor. It is alphabetically arranged in order of the author's name. I found there all the books I had ever wanted to buy/read and much more. The prices are also pretty good - they stock Indian editions of most of the books which turn out cheaper than their foreign counterparts. But the best thing about this place is that the people there actually know what they are selling. You don't say -I want so and so book by so and so- and then undergo the ordeal of spelling out the author's name to run a catalog search. Blossoms...I will be back.

I will append to this as I explore Bangalore further.

No comments: